February 14, 2010

Federer reduced to tears on visit to Ethiopia

Federer reduced to tears on visit to Ethiopia


"There's no way around it for them because I'll be traveling. It will be a very exciting ten years for me because I'll be trying to educate and help them and show them all these things."

Ethiopia is the world's seventh largest recipient of foreign aid, receiving more than $1.94 billion in 2006, according to the Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).

About 12 million of the Horn of Africa country's people are reliant on foreign food aid to survive.

As multi-millionaire Federer drove through the streets of the capital Addis Ababa, four street kids caught a glimpse of him through the window of his coach.

Leaping to their feet, they ran after the bus.

"Federer! Federer! We love you! We love you!" they shouted.

SURPRISE RECOGNITION

For Federer, who has won 16 grand slam titles, the level of recognition in one of the world's poorest and most remote countries, more known for athletics than tennis, was a surprise.

"It's my first time here so I didn't expect this," he said. "I always think I should have been to a country before people know me. I forget about the television."

No comments: